Wednesday 5 June 2024

Pictures of the day - Ginger - Strawberries

Every day I pick in between 200 and 300 grams of beautiful, colorful, flavored salad for my family and I. It takes time to pick this variegated salad, but it also takes time to take care of it, water it, and renew it with the passage of seasons. This is the salad I picked today. It's composed of: arugula, watercress, mint (two types), thyme, nasturtiums (flowers and leaves), sweet potato leaves, parsley, basil, fennel leaves,...


This blue flower will yield black seeds that can be added on top of breads. We bake our own bread (my mother does that) with our own yeast. I cultivate many types of seeds and plants that we add on top of breads.

The strawberries are starting to flower again, after a short pause. I right now have around two hundred plants of strawberries that I all made sprout myself. Depending on whether they are in a sunny or less sunny place, they will yield their fruits at different times.

The green ginger is starting to sprout again, after disappearing during the winter! I have around ten green ginger plants that provide ginger bulbs underneath the ground. They live from year to year. I harvest some bulbs that we use either to cook, or in infusions, but we also use their green leaves on a daily basis, as their taste is milder, and the production of green leaves is great during the season, as the plant keeps on producing new leaves.

This is an ingredient that cannot be found in supermarkets! On top of that, all what I cultivate is entirely natural and organic.


The pumpkin vines in the new raised beds I built over the last weeks and last two months are doing really well! Everything is edible: the leaves, the flowers, the fruits and even their seeds. The plants in the garden around our house are in their flowering stage.

2 comments:

  1. Gember! Ik ben dol op gember! Mijn kleinzoon ook. Ik ga morgen naar Schotland en dan moet ik altijd op zijn verzoek gemberkoekjes kopen! Bak jij er ook koekjes van?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not yet try to use the ginger we cultivate in the garden to bake pastries. But one delicious recipe is to use the green ginger leaves with a bit of olive oils on pasta. Enjoy Scotland Ellen! I think it's a beautiful land!

      Delete

From inside the house

As it was raining (lightly) this morning I recorded my video from inside the house, in front of the garden, for a change. But in reality I h...