Thursday 5 September 2024

Showing the progression of my latest raised bed

Today I showed the progression of the largest raised bed I've ever built, in terms of height, according to the principles of hügelkultur. Hopefully this raised bed will provide abundant salads / green leaves in the next months for our household consumption. It is also an ecofriendly practice that enriches the soil of your garden, comparing with burning / or sending your wastes to a landfill.  


Those are also fruits I harvested from the garden in the last days. Passion fruits (I planted the vines myself four years ago) and jujubes (my grandfather planted a tree a long time ago, and I planted more jujube trees and allowed them to extend).


I also started to prepare homemade vinegar. Not a large quantity, as this year I do not have a lot of grape. I learnt to prepare vinegar around three years ago. It is quite simple to do: if you have slightly sour grape, you remove the grapes from their stems. Then, you pour them in an empty bucket, and with your hands you press them. You will get a thick paste with a juice. You cover it all with a linen, to avoid having insects falling into the mixture. Once every two days, you stir the paste in the juice with a spoon. It will very soon start smelling the smell of vinegar. 

After around 10 days / two weeks, you filter the mixture, throw the paste (you can use it in a hügelkultur bed) and keep the juice, that has become, fresh, homemade, natural vinegar.

-

As I write and take care of our garden at the same time, not everything is perfect. I should prune our grape vines, and the trees nearby, to allow the grape vines to receive more sunlight. But it is hard to do everything on my own. I wish to soon have the help of the Princess, and of Red-Oak and Green-Rose, who I am sure, will be delighted to have a large garden to stroll into, when they visit us.


2 comments:

  1. Gefeliciteerd met je vader! Goed nieuws zou een leuk cadeau zijn. Veel plezier!🥳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these wishes and these kind thoughts, Ellen!

      Delete

Showing new parts of the garden

Today I showed new parts of the garden, on which I've been working in order to start planting some winter crops! I'm really proud of...