Thursday 4 July 2024

A daily salad every day of the year

Getting an abundant and variegated daily salad every day of the year from the garden is something I am really proud of, as it is technically difficult. You perhaps never gardened yourself vegetables, dear Red-Oak, dear Green-Rose, but both your fathers (the grandfathers of the Faerie Princess) loved gardening. So you probably witnessed and tasted the vegetables they harvested. And you well-know that depending on seasons, you can get a lot, or nothing.

In the gardens I plant, I managed to build a clever system, combining plants - plants that like cold weather, plants that like hot weather, plants that like an abundance of rain, plants that sustain drought - in order to get a salad entirely from the garden every single day of the year.

I show that and explain it in the video below.

You might think "oh but salad is not so important". Salad is extremely important. Those herbs and green leaves that are entirely natural and organic are very healthy. These green leaves eliminate toxins from the body, protecting and purifying the organism. Consuming a generous salad at every meal is an important factor of living in health to very old age.

I believe that what I did in the gardens I take care of is really valuable, because it is also an innovative use of certain plants, such as sweet potatoes, cultivating them not only for their tubers, but for their green leaves that supply a great abundance of fresh salad during the summer, when many other plants don't do well because of the lack of rain. I found ways to make sweet potato vines climb on small trees and shrubs, getting very large leaves, almost the size of a lettuce.

Last year, during the fall, we even tried to prepare spring rolls with sweet potato leaves, and that was really delicious.


This is a stevia plant. Stevia is a natural and healthy sugar. One little leaf is enough to give an intense taste of sugar, with a subtle aftertaste of liquorice. Close to it, there is a plant of Japanese Thyme, a variety of thyme that does very well in the summer, and in the shade. I cultivate all these plants myself from scratch, and harvest these leaves on a daily basis for family use.



And this is part of the fruit harvest of the day. Slightly more than 1 kg of pomarrosas - some I select to eat as a fresh fruits (the most perfect ones) - while the others, I will prepare in candied fruits, drying them in the sun, to be consumed all year long, even during the winter. The fruits I dry in the sun (entirely naturally) keep for very long, for a year, or two, in a closed jar. There are also peaches, and some strawberries.



2 comments:

  1. Heerlijk salades! Ik varieer ook zoveel mogelijk, helaas hebben wij hier maar een beperkte varieteit. Mijn favoriet: venkelsalade met bloedsinasappel!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your appreciation, dear Ellen! I cultivate a lot of wild fennel in the garden, for its fresh leaves, and its seeds. There is a typical Italian salted biscuit called Tarallo, with flour and fennel seed that we sometimes prepare at home - it is typical of Puglia at the South of Italy. Otherwise we use the fennel seeds on top of the focaccia my mother prepares with a very old recipe of homemade yeast. And the fennel leaves we either use in salads, or in omelettes...

      Delete

Showing new parts of the garden

Today I showed new parts of the garden, on which I've been working in order to start planting some winter crops! I'm really proud of...